Alkalizing Fire Cider (for your gut and immune system health)
by Sheryl Hockey, Medical Herbalist & Iridologist
This potent alkalizing and immune system tonic is not only cheap and easy to make, it packs a healing punch!! When taken daily, it not only alkalizes your body, but gives a huge anti-bacterial hit to the system and is a great preventative measure to ensure a healthy immune system!
Use organic or locally sourced ingredients whenever possible.
- ½ onion chopped
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 inch square chunk of grated ginger root
- 1 chilli or jalapeno pepper (depending on how spicy you like it, can also use cayenne powder or flakes)
- 1 inch square chunk of grated turmeric root
- ½ lemon, scrubbed well, then finely dice including skin
- A good quality raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs brand)
- Optional ingredients; horseradish root, cinnamon, manuka honey
- Place all chopped ingredients in a medium sized jar and fill with apple cider vinegar. Ensure that there is 2-3 inches of vinegar above the top of the diced herbs then seal with a tight fitting lid.
- Shake well and store in fridge. Ensure to shake the jar daily. Can use straight away or let steep for a week first (I like to use straight away!!)
- After 2 weeks, strain out the herbs, and reserve the liquid.
- Add honey ‘to taste’ if necessary. Warm the honey first so it mixes in well.
If this is your first time, start off with ½ -1 tspn and gradually build up your dose. I like it straight off the spoon, then have some water afterwards, but it may be better for you in a small amount of water or with a touch of honey.
A small shot glass daily serves as an excellent tonic or take a teaspoon every hour or 2 if you feel a cold coming on. Ensure that you have lots of water afterwards to flush the healing goodness throughout your body!
Can also be used in cooking. I love it mixed with some olive oil as a salad dressing or marinade or put in a splash when making soup.