5 Benefits of Matwork Pilates
by Grainne Myles
- Toning. Pilates mat is the alpha & omega of core workouts! A traditional Pilates mat workout that incor‐porates the classic Pilates sequence, will also provide the foundation for a lifetime of healthy postural habits.
- Flexibility. Mat Pilates works on lenthening muscles essentrically and does so with gentle dynamic stretching & strengthening exercises. Many lower back problems can stem from tight hamstring muscles. Stretching through the hamstrings is a focus area in mat Pilates.
- Improved posture. Neutral spine, a properly engaged core, c-curve, shoulder and pelvic stability, spinal articulation, full breathing, working with oppositional energy — all are integral to Pilates mat work and all work in unison to strengthen the deep muscles attached to your skeleton, thereby improving posture & ensuring more eﬃcient movement.
- The body/mind connection. The body/mind connection. Pilates was deﬁnitely developed with the intention of helping to integrate and elevate the body, mind, and spirit. Pilates exercises are always practiced with the Pilates principles of cen‐tering, concentration, control, precision, breath, and ﬂow. When a Pilates workout is infused with this kind of attention and quality, it becomes more than a physical experience. Add 15 minutes of meditation to the end of a mat class and you’ll come away feeling connected, centered, aligned & rejuvenated.
- Burn fat. Yes, you heard that right. While it is low impact, Pilates can in fact, help you to burn fat during and after class, as your muscles continue to shed calories long after the class ends.
Matwork Pilates classes are every Tuesday at 10am & Thursday at 9:30am.
Our Matwork Pilates method of exercise is a low-impact workout that invigorates the mind and elevates the spirit. Goal-specific and time effective, Matwork Pilates is a full body workout that is ideal for any level of fitness.